Job announcement: Assistant Men's Basketball Coach - Whatcom Community College
Assistant Coach, Men’s Basketball
Part-Time, Administrative/Exempt Stipend Position
The Assistant Coach for men’s basketball position provides leadership and direction for the Orca men’s basketball team directly assisting the Head Coach of men’s basketball. Reporting to the head men’s basketball coach and the Director for Athletics and Recreation, the successful candidate will teach basketball skills at the collegiate level and assist the Head Coach in travel and game day procedures.
- Provide administration, leadership, and direction for the men’s intercollegiate basketball program.
- Teach individual and team basketball skills and strategies; build, develop, and evaluate teamwork; develop and enforce training rules.
- Monitor and support the academic performance, leadership, and progress of student athletes.
- Scout and recruit student athletes who are qualified both academically and athletically for intercollegiate competition.
- Establish, develop, and maintain positive relationships and effective communication with local area and high school basketball coaches and programs.
- Conduct intercollegiate programs in accordance with NWAC and college rules and regulations.
- In collaboration with the Director for Athletics and Recreation, assist the Head Coach to work cooperatively with Athletics Department. Develop collaborative and collegial relationships with the other coaches, student leaders and staff in the department and through the campus community.
- Assist the Head Coach to implement and evaluate practice and game schedules.
- Assist the Head Coach to organize fundraising activities in order to enhance and develop athletic programs.
- Understand and comply with the policies and procedures of the Athletics Department as outlined in the Whatcom Community College Athletic Handbook.
- Basketball coaching experience at a competitive level.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification (or will obtain if selected).
- Valid unrestricted Washington state driver’s license.
- Demonstrating a strong work ethic, organizational ability, planning, and program development.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with faculty, students, and staff within a campus community; and the ability to foster positive resolutions when conflicts occur.
- Teaching and teambuilding, related to student athletes. Excellent verbal, listening, writing, problem-solving and interpersonal communication skills.
- Program fundraising and development.
- Ability to use a personal computer, Microsoft Office products and database programs.
- Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds.
COACHING STIPEND & APPOINTMENT
$1,000 - $3,000 depending on qualifications. Additional campus employment may be available based on the individual’s qualification and interest. Tentative start date is September 1, 2019, or as soon as can be arranged with the successful candidate.
APPLICATION DUE DATE
For best consideration, applications should be received by 4:30 PM, Friday, August 2, 2019. Position is open until filled.
All applicants should submit the required items via email to Jerome Jenkins, the head men’s basketball coach, at email@example.com. A completed application consists of:
- A letter of application that addresses the job requirements outlined in this announcement.
- A résumé.
- List of two recent professional references with contact information.
Email application to: firstname.lastname@example.org